BMZ: Core Strategy: "One World - No Hunger" in effect
The adoption of the core strategy concludes a BMZ strategic process for the sector initiated in 2020. The extensive and diverse experience from projects worldwide, and particularly those in the Special Initiative “One World – No Hunger” was incorporated into the design of the strategy and the three action areas – food security, rural development and agriculture. These encompass sub-themes, so-called fields of activity, which define and flesh out the action areas.
Sustainable, fair and future-oriented design of food systems is the ambition at the heart of the EWOH strategy.
The strategy’s key core statements:
- A world without hunger is possible within the constraints of our planet!
- Everyone has the right to secure, sufficient and balanced nutrition.
- This requires sustainable growth in agricultural production and functioning markets, primarily through innovation.
- Nutritional systems must be more sustainable, effective and efficient, as well as resilient in the face of all kinds of shocks.
- Agriculture and rural areas play a central role in climate mitigation and climate adaptation and in preserving biodiversity.
- A multisectoral and cross-cutting approach is required with partners from governments, civil society, international organisations, research and universities and the private sector.
- Production conditions in partner countries and our consumption in Europe are interconnected.
The BMZ core strategy paper “One World – No Hunger” is currently only available in German.
Other core strategies published
BMZ core strategy “Responsibility for our planet – climate and energy” was published at the same time, comprising the action areas climate protection and adaptation to climate change, renewable energy and energy efficiency, and sustainable urban development. Diverse interactions exist between the five core strategies and action areas, which will be taken into consideration in future in specific contexts. Three further core strategies are in the pipeline.
Ten fields of activity for a world without hunger (in German)
Die BMZ-Kernthemenstrategie „Eine Welt ohne Hunger – in German only
The BMZ climate strategy