A closer look at...
No doubt a lot has happened in terms of gender equity and equality over the last few decades. There are women who head states and hold high positions in international organisations. There are women who successfully lead enterprises and have long ceased limiting their role to that of a caregiver. But progress is extremely slow. And some of it has been reversed, as the 2017 Global Gender Gap Report of the World Economic Forum notes. In 27 out of the 144 countries examined, progress towards gender parity is once again regressing. And since the #MeToo movement at the latest, it has become frighteningly clear just how commonplace it continues to be to mercilessly take advantage of the power structure between men and women. Whether we are in the Global North or the Global South makes little difference in this context. Gender equality and women`s empowerment represents a topic that is far too complex to be dealt with comprehensively in one single edition. We can only deal briefly with many of the areas that it no doubt encompasses, including both those mentioned above and education, the digital gender divide, reproductive health und female genital mutilation. We nevertheless hope that our selection of themes will make you more aware of this topic.
- Putting gender upfront in vaccine delivery systems
- Local biopesticide production hubs and the empowerment of rural women in Tamil Nadu
- Will Zanzibar’s algae farmers soon be ruined?
- Empowering women through mechanisation: Where are the opportunities?
- The invisible wall to the Beijing space
- No sustainable development without women!
- The economic potential of gender equality
- Rural women and food security – of myths and facts
- Measuring women’s empowerment in agricultural development projects
- Doing things differently: gender-transformative skills development in agriculture
- Innovations for women’s access to land
- From German rural women for rural women in Ghana
- “I would like to be involved, but I just don’t have the time”
- Access to justice for women in Tajikistan
- It’s high time to end child marriage in Africa
- „We must acknowledge women’s economic contribution and value it“
- “Empowering women and girls is the best way to eradicate poverty and inequality”
- Owning land means going less hungry
- Rural women in Zambia: Light at the end of the tunnel?