- Share this article
- Subscribe to our newsletter
The biogas technology is an alternative energy source for cooking and lighting for the rural farmers. In a lot of ways, the technology is reducing the heavy dependence of rural population on biomass as their main source of energy. It could also provide new sources of income for farmers.
- Development for large and small alike
- Using forest wastes to produce bio-charcoal – a sustainable business model for community forests
- Relieving (energy) poverty with biogas
- At the wooden cross-road
- Simple technology with a major impact
- China’s biomass energy development – a perception change from waste to resource
- FlexiBiogas – a climate change adaptation and mitigation technology
- Alternative energy gaining root in Kenya
Energy poverty is always a prime component of poverty in developing countries, as the former head of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), Prof. Klaus Töpfer, never tires of emphasising. However, what form can future energy production take if it is to contribute to poverty reduction but must do so without damaging sensitive ecosystems and accelerating climate change?